The Nominations Committee provides a democratic process for nominating and electing Chapter Officers. They should also assist region and national efforts by submitting names of qualified candidates for the Region and National offices.
The Chapter President will appoint the Chairperson. The Chair will appoint members to serve on the committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Nominations Committee has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Review the Chapter officers’ position descriptions in the Bylaws.
- Provide a timely request to Chapter members to obtain nominations.
- Upon receipt of all nominations, screen all nominees by establishing contactand verifying that if elected the nominees can and will serve the Chapter and NPMA as required. Select at least two nominees for each elective office.
- Announce the names of the candidates at a pre-determined Chapter Membership meeting, and if possible, mail formal announcements to all Chapter members during the preceding month. Further nominations of candidates may be made from the floor at the meeting.
- If balloting is done during a meeting, no special instructions are necessary. However, a mail ballot is recommended with the following guidelines:
- Produce ballots. In addition, establish a schedule and controls for conducting the election in accordance with Chapter Bylaws. Information on the ballots should include appropriate resumes for each nominee and deadlines for voters.
- The ballot shall be mailed 60 days before the election to Chapter members who are in good standing. The return ballots shall be postmarked by the date of the election, or given to a Nominations Committee member by the day of election.
- No member shall submit any ballot other than his/her own.
- A nominee receiving a simple plurality of votes cast shall be declared elected. In the event of a tie, a quorum present at the Chapter meeting shall vote again for the tied nominees.
- The new elected Chapter officers shall be announced before the close of the October meeting. A formal announcement should be mailed to each member.
- Assist the Region and National Nominations committees in seeking qualified candidates for the offices at the regional and national levels.
- On or before December 1, submit to the Chapter Executive Board a program plan and budget request for the coming year.
- During the month of August, send out the official ballot to all Chapter members.
- The elections will be held in October, at a Chapter membership meeting. If mail-in ballots were not used, the elected officers will be announced at this meeting. If mail-in ballots were used, the newly elected officers will be announced by mail and at the November meeting.
- Installation of elected officers will be at the first meeting of the year. (See examples of Installation of Officers Ceremony).
- Periodically provide a written report of committee activities to the Chapter President.
- Submit written reports of activities and achievements to the Chapter President for inclusion in the Chapter Report for the Region Board of Directors’Meetings, and National and Region Seminars.
- Submit an activity report to the Chapter President for the “Chapter of the Year” submission.
- At the December (year ending) meeting of the membership, submit a summary report relative to the affairs of the committee.