Become a CPPS
To align with accreditation standards, NPMA Certification Polices and Procedures are continuously updated. Please read this information carefully because our procedures have changed.
Recent changes to our policies
- The separate application fee has been eliminated
- An administration fee has been included in the fee of the first time purchase of the CPPS Module 1. This fee is required.
The CPPS administration fee covers the administrative expenses of processing exams and results.
You will receive within 2 business days an electronic version of the Fundamentals of Personal Property Management Manual and Study Guide.
- There is no longer an option to purchase the electronic version of the study materials as a stand-alone purchase.
- If you prefer to have a hard copy of the manual and/or study guide, you may purchase them here.
- If you prefer to purchase the study materials without purchasing the exam, please purchase them here to receive the hardcopy version.
Purchase an exam*
*This button is for first time exam purchases ONLY. When you purchase the CPPS Module 1 for the first time the fee listed below covers the exam fee and the administration fee which includes the electronic version of study materials for the CPPS Module 1 and 2 exams.
When purchasing exams, please do not use Internet Explorer. Please use another web browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
If you are new to property or work as a specialist in a specific area (e.g., shipping, receiving, inventory, etc.), the CPPS certification is for you.
The CPPS, CPPA and CPPM expire five years after the date it is issued. To maintain your highest level of certification, you must apply for renewal every five years. For more information about certification renewal visit our website here.
NPMA membership is not required to participate in the Certification Program. The Non-NPMA Member fees listed below do not include a membership.
|Module I Exam - 1st attempt (includes administration fee and electronic study materials)
|Module II Exam - 1st attempt
Retakes for each Module are $50 for members; $150 for non-members
How does it work?
Candidates may choose from the following optional methods of certification training and study:
- Self-study with testing provided by your selected proctor. Information about proctors can be found here. Find a proctor.
- Self-study with special arrangements for testing through your HR or Training Departments
- Group study
- Certification courses taught by an NPMA professional instructor. Course offerings.
- On-site certification training at your company, chapter or agencies. Learn more about on-site courses.
- Exams must be administered by an approved NPMA Proctor. Find a proctor.
- There are two exam modules of 50 multiple-choice questions each
- Each exam has a 90-minute time limit for completion
- Module I and Module II may be ordered at the same time or separately
- Each exam has a 90 day expiration date. (When more than one exam is ordered, the expiration dates are staggered: Module I exam expires in 90 days and Module II exam expires in 180 days)
- There is no mandatory wait time before purchasing and retaking exams.
- There is no limit to the number of times you can take an exam in order to pass it. To retake one or both exams, you must purchase the exam(s) and arrange with a proctor to take the exam(s).
- Purchase the CPPS Module 1 Retake
- Purchase the CPPS Module 2 Retake
- Exam retake fees: CPPS and CPPA = $50 per module for members or $150 per module for non-members. CPPM Situational Judgement Exam = $75 for members and $175 for non-members.
Taking the Exams
- Candidates are responsible for contacting the proctor to schedule the administration of the exam(s). If exams are not taken within 90 days, candidates can request an extension by contacting certification
- Online exam instructions are emailed to proctors and candidates immediately upon receipt of payment. Only the proctor receives the exam password
- Booklet exams are mailed to the proctor within two weeks of receipt of payment. If the proctor has not received the exam(s) within three weeks of payment, please contact certification
- Candidates are notified via email of their online exam results within 2 business days of exam completion
- Candidates are notified via email of their written exam results approximately 15 business days after completing the exam. If you don't receive your exam results within 21 business days after completion, please email certification
- A passing grade is 76 or higher
- Results (pass/fail only) are posted on the candidate's profile here.
- No examination results are given over the telephone
- Certification designations (CPPS, CPPA and CPPM) are not issued until all exams required for the applicable level of certification are passed
Your CPPS administration fee covers the administrative expenses of processing exams and results. You will receive within 2 business days an electronic version of the Fundamentals of Personal Property Management Manual and Study Guide. If you prefer to have a hard copy of the manual and/or study guide, you may purchase them here.
- There is no longer an option to purchase the electronic version of the study materials without the purchase of the CPPS Module 1.