Chapter Bylaws Committee
The Bylaws Committee is appointed to review proposed changes to the Chapter Bylaws and initiate amendments and changes for ratification. This Committee will advise the Chapter President when the Bylaws are not acceptable as written. Click here for sample bylaws.
The Chapter President will appoint the Chairperson. Chapters may choose to establish this position as a Chapter Vice President for Parliamentary Procedure. The Bylaws Chair will appoint members to serve on the committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Bylaws Committee has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Review the Chapter Bylaws, special rules of order, and standing rules for conformance with national rules on an annual basis.
- Consider, edit, and/or correlate all proposed amendments to the Bylaws and submit them with recommendations of the committee, in accordance with theChapter Bylaws.
- Include all proposed amendments of the Bylaws in the call to the Chapter meeting at which they will be considered.
- Send the new/revised Chapter Bylaws to the Region Director of Parliamentary Procedures (if the Region has a Director) for review. The Region Director of Parliamentary Procedures will review and forward the Bylaws to the Vice President of Parliamentary Procedures for approval.
- Prepare an up-to-date copy of the Bylaws for publication when needed and distribute to current and new members.
- Request that the Chapter Secretary send copies of the current Bylaws to the Region and to the Vice President of Parliamentary Procedures for reviewand approval.
- Periodically provide a written report of committee activities to the Chapter President.
- Submit written reports of activities and achievements to the Chapter President for inclusion in the Chapter Report for the Region Board of Directors’ Meetings, and National and Region Seminars.
- Submit a report to the Chapter President relative to the affairs of this committee for the “Chapter of the Year” submission.
- At the December (year ending) meeting of the membership, submit a summary report relative to the affairs of the committee.